Saturday, June 13, 2009

Moving Pictures and the European Souvenir Photo Project launch

I have finally arrived to this very moment, this slice in time where everything makes sense in the most gorgeously nonsensical way. Last night was a turning point. I had my first art show of lomograph photography open at Love, Me Boutique in Halifax. My inner teenager is flabbergasted.

I wrote a list nearly a decade ago in pink oil pastels in a sketchbook. I’ve managed to cross off many items (get published, write a short story, live on both coasts, fall in love, skinny dip, etc.), but the notion of an art show was a daunting task.

Who was I to declare myself an artist? I dropped out on my second day of art school, and quickly found myself immersed in English and journalism. I couldn’t be an artist; I just wrote about artists, I kept in close proximity, but clearly was not of them.

Luckily over time I got over myself and realized that art is anything and everything. It’s not exclusive to the bound and printed, institutions, museums, galleries or critical opinion. Art is the essence of life.

So, can you guess what followed #7 on this list of things to do before I died? Travel Europe by myself, naturally. Dare I say the public exhibition of Moving Pictures and the European Souvenir Project combine two of my biggest dream desires? Isn’t this like killing two birds with one stone? I think so, though I don’t really want to murder any birds. But you catch my drift.

Thank you universe for all that you’ve showered upon me. It’s only taken many tears, internal queries, self-doubt, and a decade to get here, but I have finally arrived. I’m no longer pickled by my human fears. I now take great faith in the unknown. It's the guts of life, where and when the living actually happen. As it stands, I’m taking stock of the mystery as it unfolds.

Dear friends, loves and family, I wouldn’t be here without you. Thank you.

Most of all, I must extend the biggest token of gratitude to Chara Kingston, Love, Me's founder for making this all happen. Without walking into her shop one afternoon and yawning about the day, Moving Pictures and The European Souvenir Project never would have arrived in this specific incarnation.

With umbrellas, rubber boots, rain jackets and hats tucked on the floor beneath a table, fellow-seekers, professors, artists, editors, film makers, intellectuals, writers, students, poets and musicians gathered this past Friday June 12.

As I tiptoed around in my black and white heels, I overheard whispers about the dizzying effect the shop was having on people. They too wanted to rush home “and make things.” Kind words and sweet nothings now pepper my soul.

Love, Me is a dreamer's haven where many like-minded thinkers replenish their creative selves. To have my first art show anywhere else would be unthinkable. Just before everyone arrived on Friday I was sharing with Chara the first time I tried to show my work in public.

After buying a darkroom off a friend I took to long hours printing black and white while sipping red wine and listening to Billie Holiday cassettes in my mom’s basement suite. The summer of my 18th year I fled to St. John’s and took to the streets. I sold my pictures for 10 bucks, plus the cost of a vendor’s permit. I’ll never forget bartering with the lady at city hall: ‘ya wanna sell pictures on Water Street, me ducky? Why, whatchya wanna do dat for?’

Needless to say to be enveloped within the walls of Love, Me and held up by the arms of my dear friends, I felt truly blessed. Thank you for braving the rain and coming out to raise a plastic glass of champagne for art's sake.

I’m thrilled by the overwhelming response to the European Souvenir Photo Project. I look forward to reading your answers and confessions. I’m quite curious to hear more about your longings, dreams and desires and sharing a little taste of Europe with each one of you.

Let’s grow wings together.

Sincerely,

SWC

No comments:

Post a Comment